Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Three words I never thought that I would hear....

This week I was to begin my focused training for the 2012 NYC Ironman. I signed up for this event, my 10th IM, to compete in memory of my brother Jeff who died this past July from colon cancer at the age of 55. One of my local clients, as well as one from CA and one from MI, will also be competing. My local client, Phil and one of our training partners, Dina and I have decided to “race for a cause” for this Ironman. Our cause will be hospice—they spent 8 weeks at my home, helping me care for my brother and I could not have imagined caring for him without their help. So, we have created Team Tri for Hospice and will look to raise money that will go to a local hospice (triad region of NC) to help patients with necessities that insurance and Medicare will not cover. More information on this as we move forward…..
I had planned on blogging about my training for my 10th Ironman in my 50th year—I turn 50 on August 8th, three days before the IM. My training for long distance events has evolved quite a bit since my first IM in Florida in 1999, and I thought that I would share my preparation as I attempt to qualify for Kona (my last time at the big dance was in 2004)—yes, I am going for it! But as 2011 came to a close things changed a bit—a routine mammogram (I have been getting them once a year for about ten years due to dense breast tissue) caught the attention of radiologist (with luck on my side it was my training friend, Dina) who just didn’t like what she saw. After another mammogram and with Dina’s pushing, a biopsy of my right breast, I found out on December 29th that I have breast cancer….
I never imagined in a million years that I would hear those three words, “it is cancer” and I am still not sure if it has sunk in…. I am active, healthy, eat well, have all of my routine medical exams, love my work and have a wonderful husband and two great kids. So, as I learned through my brother’s cancer, the disease is indiscriminate—you never know…. To add more stress to the pot, my mother (81 years old) was diagnosed with breast cancer two days before me and will have a double mastectomy on Jan. 9th. Her diagnoses really put mine in perspective and what I will go through pales in comparison of what she will have to endure.
I am generally a private person but felt that writing this training blog, “with a twist” might help athletes and non-athletes who have breast cancer the deal with the disease---that it might bring to the light the importance of early detection (my mother had not had a mammogram in 30 years)--and that you can’t let bumps in the road deter you from your goals, hopes and dreams. I am looking at this cancer as an “inconvenience” and will continue training for the August IM. What I will have to do to adjust my training, I do not know yet. But I will forge on, doing what I need to do to “take care of this inconvenience” while supporting my mother while she deals with her cancer.
It would be great to hear from others who have been diagnosed with cancer, not just breast, and how they managed their treatments while training. My plan is to update this blog at least one time per week. I am off to the surgeon on Friday, to NJ on Sunday to be with my mom for her surgery and then another biopsy (MRI) for another spot in my breast on the 13th.
Take charge,
Karen

6 comments:

KP said...

Karen, I will be thinking of you and your family. Cancer can floor us. But I can tell you are right back up and ready to move forward. It's been about ten years since you and I first met. That's about when my daughter was diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma. There was a year of chemo and radiation. She is now nine years off treatment and doing great. I look forward to saying the same thing about you in ten years!

Karen Buxton said...

KP--thanks so much for your note and I am so glad that all continues to go well for your daughter. Hope that your new year is off to a great start and I appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers,
KB

Unknown said...

Karen, hi I'm not sure if you remember me. My name is Lisa Kotterer and I used to live on Brush Arbor Ct. You coached my daughters Allison and Caroline on the Ridgewood swim team. I'm so sorry to hear about you and your mom. I was diagnosed early August with stage 3a IDC of the right breast that was her2+. I had a mastectomy of the right breast late August and have had 8 rounds of chemo. I will start 6 weeks of radiation in February and continue with maintenance herceptin chemo thru October. I have a caringbridge page www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisakotterer. I am happy to answer any questions you might have and am praying for you and your mom.

Karen Buxton said...

Hi Lisa, Of course I remember you and your girls!! Thanks so much for your note and I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I will check out your page and appreciate your thoughts--good luck with your upcoming treatments and I may be in touch as I move through this.
Please say hello to the girls--are they still swimming? And again, thanks so much for your note.
Karen

MaraschinoMary said...

Karen, just wanted to thank you for coaching us last night at the TTT swim clinic. It helped us immensely! Also, I was reading your blog and discovered what a challenge you and your mother are going through. We will be praying for you fervently that you both come out well and on top of things. I hope to see you some time this summer at the lake upon which I live. You can come train with us for open-water swims. I post times, etc., on our facebook page (Triad Triathlon Team). Please come join us. You would have a blast! Mary Roach

Karen Buxton said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for your note and I enjoyed working with you at the clinic. I would love to come for some open water swims--thanks!
Again, thank you for your thoughts and hope to see you soon.
Best,
Karen