Monday, May 4, 2009

A long successful recovery

Last weekend I competed at the Short Course Duathlon National Championships in Richmond, VA. My goal for the race was to secure a spot to compete at the upcoming World Duathlon Short Course Championships this September in Concord, NC. The race was a success and I qualified for the team, finishing in 10th place in my age-group (45-49). More of a victory for me was the fact that I was just able to start and finish the race--on January 14th I rolled my ankle on a trail run and completely tore 2 ankle ligaments, partically tore the third and bruised my talus bone. In a boot and unable to walk without crutches for two weeks just being able to run again was my only thought....
Often an injury of this nature can completely derail a season; but, if handled correctly, both physically and mentally, athletes can recover and be better for it in the end.
In my next couple of posts I will talk about how I handled this set-back and turned it into a positive experience.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Congrats! Just found your blog... Hope you are well. Glad to hear that injury didn't totally derail you! Btw, I just completed my first half marathon on Sunday! Never thought I'd be able to run that far with all my biomechanical issues. Very gratifying. Training for NYC Marathon in Nov.

Karen Buxton said...

Hi there!!!
So glad to hear from you.
Congrats on your half--I think that Bill did the same one. NYC marathon, way-to-go!!!!!!
I did a half IM yesterday and the ankle held up--Cozumel in Nov. I will update my blog soon.
Stay in touch,
Karen